It’s not unusual to experience a painful or sore jaw from time to time, especially after chewing something hard or sticky. But when your jaw pain starts to negatively affect your quality of life, it’s important to see a healthcare professional. Jaw pain is treatable with an individualized plan of care.
5 Common Causes of Jaw Pain
Here are the five most common causes of jaw pain we diagnose by our dental office in Sarasota, FL:
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder: your temporomandibular joints are located near your ears and attach the jaw bone to the rest of your skull; the tissues in and around these joints can become irritated or misaligned, leading to classic symptoms like pain, stiffness, clicking, popping, or even the sensation that your jaw will get “stuck” or pop out of place
- Tooth pain due to abscess or fracture: an infected tooth can refer pain to the jaw area
- Misaligned or overcrowded teeth: some people even experience jaw pain as a result of their wisdom teeth coming in!
- Migraines: these may occur with additional symptoms like a pounding headache and nausea
- Whiplash: acute trauma that causes forceful flexion of the head or neck can lead to jaw pain and stiffness along with a number of other symptoms.
Even emotional stress can lead to jaw pain as a result of grinding your teeth and clenching your jaw.
How Our Sarasota Dentist Can Help Alleviate Your Jaw Pain
Our dentist in Sarasota helps people of all ages find effective solutions for jaw pain. Usually, the first step in finding relief is coming in for a comprehensive dental exam and cleaning. This gives our dental team a chance to evaluate your teeth and gums, take X-rays if necessary, and pinpoint the cause of your discomfort.
Based on our findings, we’ll be able to recommend a specific plan of care. Interventions may include:
- Prescription medications for infected teeth
- Root canal or extractions of infected or damaged teeth
- Fitting of nighttime mouthguards
- Lifestyle counseling, including advice about specific foods to avoid or minimize in the diet
We’re also happy to refer our clients to other providers as needed.
Are you tired of struggling with a painful stiff jaw? Contact the Sarasota, FL office of Dr. Kenneth Schweizer, DDS at (941) 926-4888 to schedule an appointment today.